- It is not the policy of this organization to recruit members from any other dojo.
- Members of another dojo that is still operational should weigh the consequences of their choice to leave their current dojo very seriously and respectfully. It is customary and recommended to seek reconciliation in your current dojo before considering a new dojo. If reconciliation is not possible then a respectful exit is mandatory. It must be made clear to your existing Sensei that you are leaving, and any financial obligations you have to the existing dojo must be finalized.
- Members of another dojo that has closed are welcome to come.
- Instructors of Shuko-Kai International are continually being trained by our Soke in Texas. They attend a weeklong training session every year in February or monthly over zoom. This ensures consistency among the instructors of Shuko-Kai International, and that they are all up to date with their techniques and training methods.
- It is considered poor manners to speak ill of your former Sensei and their teachings. Remember that at some point in the past you considered your former Sensei a valuable person to train with.
- Avoid having a closed mind to new ideas and ways of doing things. The focus of training is a very individual thing. No two teachers will explain or demonstrate a technique in the same way. At times a technique is practiced and performed “incorrectly” to make a point, or to help a student unlearn a behaviour. Be patient with the instruction, listen and try to apply.
- Questions are always welcome, in fact they are encouraged, if asked in a respectful way. Confronting your Sensei is never a good thing to do. If you wish to disagree with your Sensei and have a discussion, please make arrangements to do so outside of the class time. Please be aware that the answer to a question is for the entire class and may have to be simplified or altered for that reason, as not all students are capable or ready for all the details.
- Please read and follow the proper dojo etiquette.
- It is understood that martial arts equipment can be expensive. Your current gi, pads, etc, are welcome in our dojo, although the existing club or style patch must be replaced with an official Shuko-Kai International one.
- Our standard uniform is a medium weight white cotton gi. It is expected that a non-standard gi will be replaced by a white gi in a reasonable amount of time. Higher ranking students or students competing at the provincial level and above can wear a white heavy weight cotton gi.
- The biggest question of all has to do with rank. We will attempt to honour your existing rank by kyu if your former dojo was of a Japanese discipline. The colour of your belt may be changed to align with our colour scheme based on your kyu level.
- We offer each student converting to our dojo a private and confidential meeting in which a discussion of their rank will be held. Please be prepared to discuss your martial arts training background and be prepared to demonstrate some techniques.
- Advancement in rank will take gaps and strengths into consideration and an individual promotion plan will be developed for each student. Once the gaps have been filled and basic techniques are in line with Shuko-Kai International, the regular dojo syllabus will be used.
- Shuko-Kai International Canada strives to disclose all costs associated with training where known. We post the monthly fees for training and the fees for grading for all to see. Costs of Karate Ontario membership and tournament registration are not in our control.
- Monthly fees for training classes are due on your anniversary day of the month. For example, if you start classes on the 8th of the month, your dues are to be paid on or before the 8th of each month.
- Payment can be made by cash, cheque, debit and credit card in the dojo or by interac eTransfer. We accept post-dated cheques and patiently wait until the appropriate time to make a deposit. We do not hold you to a contract and you are free to come and go as you see fit. We do not do auto-withdrawal from your bank.
- Payment for uniforms, patches, equipment, etc is expected when you receive the goods.
- Payment for gradings is expected soon after the grading takes place.
- We strive to keep the costs as low as possible for our students.
330 Manitou Dr
Phone +1 (519) 573-2754
Administration and General Inquiries: